Wednesday, January 4, 2017

40m Ground Mounted Vertical Project

I am in the planning stages for a ground mounted 40m vertical.

Design Criteria:

1. No Guys (Impractical?)
2. Efficient as practical
3. Good Ground System (30+ radials?)
4. Simple Feed (tapped coil, folded monopole)
5. Mounts to a single post or tube.

I have a design idea for the mounting insulators that is built from vinyl 3/4" trim boards.

Mounting system for 1" copper tubing and tapped coil feed mounted on a 4x4 post.
I question the copper tubing standing up to the weather here in Illinois.  We get some pretty good winds in my area with thunderstorms and winter weather.  I don't want to put this up and have it fold over during a winter storm, but going to larger copper increases cost quickly.  The larger tubing also doesn't work with the material I have on hand for the insulators and I would need to come up with another solution for that.

My next thought is much the same, but feeding it as a folded monopole.  In this case I would feed the antenna via a wire cage built around the copper antenna above.  The wire cage could be used to help support the copper tubing.

1/4/17

Well, I am back after a long break from doing much with radio at all.  What can I say, life happens...

This was actually written and saved as a draft for some time now.  I am still interested in building such an antenna, yet not sure when I will get around to it.  I am a do it yourself type guy with rather low budget for radio.  So, if you have any ideas that fit the design criteria, please offer your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment